December 3, 2015

Center Stage - Lyriqs


Lyriqs a native of Linden, New Jersey is not just an artist but a producer, writer & poet. He started his interest in music as a DJ from the early age of 15. Taking cues from the elements of Hip-Hop and blending them with beats from old records acquired from his father's collection. As time & skill progressed Lyriqs self taught style of production utilizing cassette tapes and turntables gave him local notoriety. He honed those skills to start his own independent label Spoken Music, in which he single handled produced his own releases along with producing others like R&B newcomer Jey Raphael.

Lyriqs attributes his musical influences to talented greats; such as, A Tribe Called Quest, The Fugees, & Marvin Gaye. Not to forget the influence of a distant relative had on him growing up. Funk legend George Clinton along with and ranging to his aunt, jazz artist Antionette Montaque and many more. His musical foundation was grounded in the truest sounds of genuine melody that can still be heard in his album today. Lyriqs music is reminiscent of early hip hop without losing relevance, thus staying current and fresh.


Today Lyriqs has embarked on operating his independent label "Spoken Music Entertainment." Under his label he self released his debut album "Welcome To My Creative Mind" in the summer of 2010 which was raved about about by critics. (http://www.ourstage.com/blog/2010/10/12/hip-hop-habit-lyriqs)That album was followed up by "Life & Other Things" (released in Sep 2011). Then in 2012 he released his debut album with his group Abstract Nothing entitled Cassette Tapes which achieved rave reviews(http://www.datpiff.com/Abstract-Nothing-Cassette-Tapes-mixtape.415088.html). He followed up that success with another solo effort, Perfect Imperfections which was released in 2014. Lyriq's has just released his best work to date, the new album "OPUS"


As a producer, artist, lyricist, & song writer, Lyriqs is out to set a new standard in music! He lives by the motto "I'm not a rapper! I'm an artist that paints pictures with the beat as my canvas."


Describe your sound in one ramble-on sentence

It’s a mixture of soulful 90’s hip hop that sounds fresh current & new.

What inspires you to make music?

I love to create & life experiences along with the experiences of others & what I see in the world inspires me to create in a musical form.

What aspect of making music excites you the most right now?

Right now it’s the production aspect. I love coming up with fresh ideas and collaborating with other artist to make something fresh & new.

What are the biggest challenges you face as a musician?

With the music industry being flooded with so much music it’s a challenge to get people to take the time to listen. So I’m always trying to find new ways to reach people's ears.

What's one of your all-time favorite recordings?

There is so many to choose from, but If I have to choose one it would be Lauryn Hill's Ex Factor. The emotion in that song that she displays is incredible. It’s a timeless song. Ok I can’t choose one Electric Relaxtion by A Tribe Called Quest is a close second.

Name three people who have influenced your music, and tell us why- Living or dead

First I would have to say my mother. She always encouraged & supported my creativity without that I wouldn’t of had the courage to share myself with the world.
Second would be a distant cousin by the name of George Clinton. Growing up a lot of his music was around & in my father’s vinyl collection. I was in awe of how creative & different his sound was compared to everyone else at that time. It made me want to be creative & different in my music. 
Third would be the group A Tribe Called Quest. Because of their music I fell in love with Hip hop. 

Do you have any recent or upcoming projects you'd like to share with us?

Right now my latest album Opus is in stores. 

What is your ideal or target audience?

My target audience would have to be anybody that lives the everyday ups & downs  of life. I can’t put a age limit or gender to my music. I make music based off real life experiences & feelings.

Do you write/compose your own songs? Briefly describe your songwriting process.

Yes, I don’t really have process. A song can strike me at any moment. I can be sleep or driving somewhere & something I see or hear in the news or a conversation can spark an idea. So I’m always creating and writing down ideas.

What do you like the most about Radio Airplay? 

I like the option to be able to put my music in front of listeners & let them choose if they like the music or not.
Website: www.lyriqs.net
Twitter : @lyriqs
Instagtram: @Lyriqs
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lyriqs